Milk Paint Frame

I recently heard of milk paint for the first time. Sounded a little weird so I thought I would join a workshop in town to see what it was all about. You can read all about the paint here, but basically it's a natural paint with no odor and when used in combination with different techniques, you can get some really cool vintage-looking results.

The idea was simple. Pick two colors—one for the bottom that shows through and one top color. I chose gray and yellow. After I painted the first coat (it dries super fast), I added some wax to the areas that I wanted to show through. Then I painted the top yellow coat. The whole project was done and dry in an hour.

Repurposed Spice Rack

I came across this spice rack at a local thrift store and thought it would be perfect to organize all our bottles and shakers. I estimated the sizes of the bottles and assumed they would fit, but in the end they didn't. So why not turn it into a jewelry rack!

I'm a big believer in using things I already have lying around, so for this piece I used paint and fabric left over from previous projects. I started by removing one of the shelves and lightly sanding the surfaces. Then I covered the whole thing with a coat of dark brown paint.

Since the teal paint is from a previous furniture project I did, I went for the same effect on this piece. After it was all painted, I wrapped a piece of cardboard with leftover fabric, stapled it to the back and added some hooks. It actually ended up being way more useful this way than as a spice rack!

Pinterest Project Success

I spend my fair share of time on Pinterest. A while back I was seeing lots of pins for how to decorate with lighted marquee letters. But purchasing them was out of the question. Just one letter can set you back a few hundred dollars. Luckily Pinterest is also a great place to find the DIY version of practically anything!

So I found some instructions on how to fake old metal letters using card stock and a little spray paint. DIY project success!

I started this project on the computer of course. I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist, so free-handing was not an option. I printed the letters, cut them out and traced the outlines onto black card stock.

I cut those letters out, punched holes where I wanted the lights to go, and then hot glued 2-inch strips of card stock all the way around each letter. Finished up with some dark orange spray paint and a string of white twinkle lights. And that's it! Made a cozy little edition to our place.